Create a zip archive to reduce file size when sending data over the internet.
How to zip files on Mac OS X
- Go to the Finder. Select the file you want to turn into an archive by holding down the CTRL (control) key while you click on the file icon once.
- A pop up menu appears over the icon. Select Create Archive Of (Your File Name)...
- This will make a copy of your file with the .zip extension. This compressed file appears right next to the original file on the desktop.
How to zip files on a PC
- Select all the files you want to zip together by holding the CTRL key and clicking on each one.
- Click the right hand button on your mouse, and select Send To from the menu that appears.
- Select Compressed or Zipped Folder from the secondary menu.
- This will create a new zipped folder, which will show up as a new icon.
- Now you can use the Browse function on the application to find that icon and select it for upload.
- Go to the desktop.
- Click the right hand button on your mouse and select New from the menu that appears.
- Select Zipped File from the secondary menu.
- A new icon will appear in the folder, which is ready to be renamed. You may use any name as long as it ends in “.zip”
- Drag and drop any files you wish into the zip file.
If you are unable to send to a Compressed or Zipped Folder when right-clicking on your files, you may not have a zip software program installed.