Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Humane Society of Boulder Valley! We rely on our dedicated volunteers to care for more than 9,000 animals who come through our doors each year. From direct animal care to helping in our veterinary clinic or thrift shop, volunteers touch the lives of animals in many ways. Please review the information below carefully so we can guide you to an opportunity that suits your skills and interests while meeting the needs of the many animals in our care.
Is our volunteer program for you?
We hope so! We have a variety of volunteer opportunities based on your availability, interests, skills, and needs. Please reference the brief descriptions below to sign-up for the opportunity most suitable for you!
Are you interested in joining our team of volunteers who handle our animals or contribute on a weekly basis to other Humane Society programs? Volunteers in these programs should expect to:
- commit to a minimum of six months of service.
- contribute a minimum of two hours weekly.
- be at least 15 years old to volunteer independently. Youth between the ages of 7 and 14 can volunteer with an adult age 18 or older. Volunteer teams comprised of an adult and up to two youth are called Pets and Pals teams, and the Humane Society of Boulder Valley cannot supply adult partners for this program.
- have regular access to an email account and internet connection to access your volunteer page.
- attend required animal handling trainings. New volunteer training sessions are regularly offered during six months of the year. Trainings typically take place in January, February, May, June, September, and October.
- Pay a one-time volunteer fee ($30 per adult volunteer or $50 per Pets and Pals team) to cover the costs of administrative processing, training materials, applicable background check fees, your volunteer uniform, and other costs that leave a footprint in our finances so more can go toward animal care.
- *Volunteers who handle our animals should not be completing court-ordered or Workforce Boulder County volunteer hours (view other options to complete these hours below.)
If you are able to meet the requirements above, we welcome you to join our team of regularly-scheduled animal handling volunteers. Thank you for carefully considering these requirements prior to completing your volunteer profile or attending any required trainings. You can view animal handling and other opportunities requiring a regularly, weekly commitment of six-months at the bottom of this page.
Are you looking for a shorter term opportunity? This includes volunteers who:
- cannot make a six-month, weekly commitment.
- need to complete hours for school requirements.
- need to complete community service hours.
If this describes the availability and needs you have, we welcome you to join our Animal Care Team or learn about other ways to get involved. We ask that all volunteers who wish to handle our animals or help in many other shelter programs commit to a regularly scheduled, weekly shift for six-months.
Are you a business or community group looking to complete a one-day service project?
If you are a business or community group looking for a one-day service project, please visit our Volunteer Group Opportunities page for more information!
Do you have court ordered, Workforce Boulder County, or other community service hours to complete?
Opportunities for court ordered or Workforce hours are available through our Animal Care Team. Please click here: Animal Care Team for a description of the Animal Care Team and for information about scheduling your required hours. We ask that you complete your required hours through our Animal Care Team before you complete your volunteer profile and attend trainings as part of our animal-handing volunteer program.
Ready to Volunteer?
Volunteers who handle our animals or who can contribute on a weekly basis to other Humane Society programs: To join our team of volunteers who handle our animals and who can make a regularly scheduled, six-month commitment, please follow the links below to view volunteer opportunities with dogs, cats, or other needs and to complete your Volunteer Profile.
Need a short-term commitment: If you are looking for a shorter term commitment, please do not complete your Volunteer Profile. Instead, options for short-term volunteers include our Animal Care Team or learn about other ways to get involved.
Interested in Group Volunteer Opportunities: If you are a business or community group looking for a one-day service project, please visit our Volunteer Group Opportunities page for more information. Please do do not complete your Volunteer Profile.
Community Service Opportunities: If you are completing court ordered or Workforce Boulder County volunteer hours, please do not complete your volunteer profile. Instead view information about our Animal Care Team.