Adoption services are available to assist drop-in visitors…
We are still following social distancing and other health guidelines to keep you and our staff safe. Following local health guidance, HSBV requires that masks be worn by everyone inside the building, regardless of vaccination status. We are open seven days a week to help you find a new addition to your home.
Our Adoption Center hours are Monday through Friday, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In order to meet and adopt an animal…
- Come to our shelter during our business hours.
- Ask about an animal’s location at our front desk or walk through our Adoption Centers.
- Once you have found the location for an animal, remove the entire sleeve from the front of that animal’s kennel and bring it to the front desk.
- Give us your name and a phone number that accepts text messages.
- Before your adoption or meet, we may ask you to wait in the lobby or outside until staff and space become available.
- Meet the animal!
Please view the animals we currently have available for adoption on our website before coming to the shelter. If you arrive before we open, please wait outside our Adoption Lobby in line with other clients and remain socially distanced. A marker on the ground indicates where the line begins and stepping out from the line before we have gathered your information will result in you losing your space in line.
If you decide to adopt, we will complete your adoption with payment and paperwork to make everything official!
Placing an animal on “hold”
HSBV offers adoption holds for available animals only after you have met with them. Once you have met with an animal and are onsite, you may place a 1st hold for a $30 non-refundable service fee to support the cost of care and administration of your hold.
- 1st holds for non-dog/cat species with adoption fees of less than $50 can be placed for a $10 non-refundable service fee.
- 1st holds are valid through close of business the following day.
- If you are meeting with an animal who has a first hold, you may place a 2nd hold for a $10 non-refundable fee.
- If the client with the 1st hold chooses not to adopt or their hold expires, you will become the 1st hold and be notified of your status. Your new 1st hold will reserve the animal through the end of the following business day.
*Hold fees are administrative and therefore non-refundable, are not tax-deductible donations, and are not applied towards the adoption fee.
What’s Included with Each Adoption
- Dog adoption fees range from $49 to $599
- Cat adoption fees range from $10 to $199
- Small Animal adoption fees range from $5 to $149
Our adoption fees help to offset the cost of evaluation, housing, feeding and medical care for the thousands of animals that need our help. We do our best to keep our adoption prices reasonable while generating income to support our goal of caring for animals available for adoption until we can place them in a loving home. Your donations also leave a legacy of care for the animals who will follow in your footsteps, looking for their loving homes.
The adoption fee for each animal varies and is dependent on many factors including: age, size, behavior, medical condition and public demand. Please see below for additional information about our V.I.P.’s – Very Important Pets pricing!
V.I.P. Very Important Pets
Some of the animals in our adoption center are VIPs! VIP animals are those that are in high demand and quickly find a loving home. You will notice that our VIP animals have higher adoption prices – this is because they leave a financial legacy for the other animals in our care who may need extensive medical care or more time to find a loving home.
At the Humane Society of Boulder Valley we are committed to finding homes for companion animals. Our progressive adoption program places thousands of pets with loving guardians. Financial contributions from our community and supporters directly benefit our animals.
Our adoptions are Satisfaction Guaranteed!
While there is a person for every animal, we know that not every animal is for every person. If you adopt an animal from HSBV and discover that you are not compatible due to behavior concerns or medical issues, you may return your pet at any time and your adoption fee will be refunded.