A reliable Safety Net for pet guardians in our community.
Helping happy and healthy relationships thrive.
Dear Humane Society of Boulder Valley family,
We set out decades ago to reduce the number of dogs and cats without homes in Boulder County while building healthy relationships between pets and people. To that end, you helped us create innovative behavior and shelter medicine programs that are now cornerstone programs of HSBV’s mission. And thanks to you, HSBV sees fewer animals from our community seeking new homes as relationship-saving resources like veterinary and behavior care are readily available. All of this is cause for celebration for how far we’ve come, together.
We will always be the safe haven for lost animals and those awaiting new homes. Right now, our neighbors are facing an unprecedented economic crisis that has caused thousands of people to lose their jobs right here in Boulder County. They are left with unimaginable decisions, like how to care for their beloved pets.
The events of 2020 have made it clear that we have the opportunity – and responsibility – to expand our mission.
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley Safety Net Program is growing to meet the evolving and emerging needs of our community – whether they are facing financial hardship, the impacts of natural disaster, or seeking the incredible connection provided through pet guardianship.
- The HSBV Food Share offers free pet food and basic supplies seven days a week. Currently, these supplies are available at our shelter facility, and larger pet items (such as crates) are available at our Community Resource Center’s Thrift Shop. Our team is also preparing to offer delivery days for those unable to visit our facility. We strive bridge gaps that result heartbreaking decisions between pet care and self care.
- Our Veterinary team is committed to ensuring community pets have access to wellness and critical veterinary resources. Thanks to our incredible community support, HSBV is able to offer discounts and grants to families seeking pet health services for general year-round care or those facing urgent medical situations. We believe all pets should have access to healthcare, and families should not be forced to relinquish a pet due to an inability to pay.
- The HSBV Animal Shelter provides safe, comfortable, and clean housing for shelter animals as well as community pets. HSBV extends free temporary housing for the pets of guardians who are hospitalized, displaced due to natural disaster, experiencing home loss, seeking support as victims of domestic violence, or individuals accessing mental healthcare. A critical service especially now, in COVID times. HSBV works to ensure a temporary inability to provide daily care does not result in a permanent separation.
- The expert Training & Behavior team at HSBV leverages science, reward-based, positive-reinforcement, force-free training, both for the shelter animals in our care, and community pets. Our team extends discounts and free services to members of our community seeking to resolve behavior challenges or enrich the relationship they share with their pets. With these relationship-strengthening tools, our behavior and training programs continue to change thousands of lives by committing to and promoting positive-reinforcement methods that are relationship strengthening and are based on a foundation of trust, kindness, and freedom to make safe choices.
- HSBV is offering adoption discounts to those seeking to add a pet to their families. Senior citizens, military veterans, low-income families, and others qualify for discounts on adoption fees. We believe everyone should have access to the love and joy pet companionship adds to our lives.
We embrace the future, and we can’t do it without you. I welcome your questions and am so grateful for your continuing support.